Sunday, May 31, 2009

Trivial pursuit

Being the avid magazine reader that I am, my monthly allure Magazine arrived to me at baited breath. (as per usual) I scan, then read. Usually leaving the Essay and Letter from the Editor as the icing on the cake. This month I was really taken back by the Essay article. The story of one woman's birth into fashion, and into the realization that possibly, there is more to it then vanity and idealism.

To be frank, i loved it. The whole thing. And this part most of all.


"That was the beginning of the end, or, maybe perhaps more accurately, the beginning of the beginning. At that moment, I understood--not in a merely intellectual but heartfelt, visceral way--the reason why we care so passionately about what struts down the runway. I knew, with the force of a revelation, why people live and die and bankrupt themselves for fashion. I realize how fashion can become an addiction, how an article of clothing glimpsed in a store window can become the object of an almost erotic longing that can only be satisfied by the thrill of possession."

Excerpt from "Coming Into Fashion" by Francine Prose (Allure Magazine- June 09)

No comments:

Post a Comment